Thursday, January 8, 2009

Music

I finally joined the ranks of bloggers everywhere and added a music playlist. You may hate it or like it. It's completely impossible to get all the music you want on there. I have a small ipod and now I know why people are crazy about their larger ipods. I still buy CD's and we still have boxes of LP's. We keep saying we need to sell them and have even sorted through them. But, they continue to stay in the house.
I remember going to the record store every time we were with my Dad. Grapevine Records in Flint, Michigan. I remember the store having a lot of purple decor and it being on the 'wrong' side of town. But, we went b/c we loved it. I even worked in a chain mall music store for a few years late high school/early college. That was some serious fun and I can vividly remember the songs we loved (the ones that weren't allowed to be played in the store) and hated (Kokomo anyone? ugh!).
I like most everything but only some country. Sing along songs are the best and I continually go back to the good 'ol songs like Indigo Girls and Jonatha Brooke etc. My dream was to go around the country and sign bands -- find them in little seedy bars. I was never interested in the fame part of it, just loved the feeling of seeing bands play and the crowd and all. I remember seeing Alanis Morissette when she first came out - incredible! and Dave Mathews at the Citadel - Insanely Awesome! Can you imagine that now - never in such small places! I have celebrated through music and it's helped me through awful times. I do consider it an art form.
A few weeks ago I took the boys to the ice cream store. We were the only ones there and in walks Darius Rucker (Hootie singer - solo now) with his son. (He lives here) Now, I LOVE him -- not him personally (of course, b/c I don't know him) but LOVE his music. I didn't say anything to him b/c I thought that would be rude. It was obvious he usually gets his kid his treat and leaves. But, no one was bothering him so they sat down. I wanted to say something to him, but just couldn't think of anything cool enough. I'm notorious for sticking my foot in my mouth, so we simply left. Not before, the boys were climbing on stools etc. -- never a dull moment with ice cream.
Of course, later that day I thought of what I would say. I would say that I've listened to you sing on your albums for hundreds of hours, and seen you in clubs and I think you're great and as long as you make albums, I'll buy them. I'd also tell him that when I was pregnant, I listened to his CD's so much that my babies would sleep when I turned you on b/c it relaxed them. If I were a musician and someone told me that, I would like it. But, he probably hears that stuff ALL the time. I don't think I ever would go up to someone famous and ask for a photo or signature... maybe if they were by themselves, but not when they are with their family. So... I'll be his quiet fan!

No comments: