Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hurricanes

The last few days have been a waiting game. Every three hours (2, 5, 8 etc.), a new hurricane update becomes available. Jennifer is flying in tonight. We were not sure it was going to happen. The winds are going to be the biggest problem tomorrow from Hanna. Lucky for us, it will not hit us head on. Ike on the other hand, looks to be huge and potentially dangerous for us. Jen might be helping us pack.

The price to live in paradise ... there is always one. Ours is the three main months of hurricane season. It actually runs June through November, with Sept 10th being the busiest part of the season. I had to pack up and leave once. It took me 26 hours to drive to Michigan. I was supposed to be flying there for a wedding. I was by myself and it was one of the strangest experiences of my life. It is by the grace of God that I made it through that car trip. Once you go through that, the 'stuff' in your house just doesn't matter as much. Now that we have kids to think about, it has a whole new meaning.

So, I've been to the store to stock up on supplies for the inevitable afternoon of having no power. After that, we wait again... to see what Ike will do.

No comments: