Thursday, March 5, 2009

Turtle


Last year sometime, I saw a small turtle trying to cross the fairly busy street in front of our neighborhood. Once I turned in our neighborhood, I stopped the car (kids stayed in the car), got out and proceeded to stop traffic (all cars kindly stopped) while this itty bitty turtle crossed the road. Of course, he was going way to slow and I had to pick him up and take him over to a safe place.


In my eyes, just another day being a 'human being', but to my boys (Lukas)... it made a lasting impression. Every once in awhile (as he did today), we will be driving and Lukas will mention how I saved the baby turtle from the cars. It was well over six months ago and he still remembers. My heart fills up everytime he mentions it. The main reason is not because I saved the turtle, but it's confirmation that (a lot of times) actions speak louder than words. I know he will always remember that and will most likely save a few turtles of his own someday....let's just hope the road he does it on has nice drivers that stop when he asks them too :-)

2 comments:

Two Little Lambs said...

Awwww. How sweet! What a nice turtle saver you are-proud of you.

Julie said...

Kris, I love this story. It is so sweet and totally shows what an amazing person and mother you are. Yes, your boys notice! Too sweet.