Sunday, August 24, 2008

Beckman turned 2

I can't believe it's been two weeks since I've blogged. The summer is coming to an end. One more week and then Lukas will be going three mornings a week. I will miss him, but it will be nice to have some time alone with Beckman. As it is now, Lukas gets a few hours of one-on-one attention almost everyday when Beckman naps.


For his birthday this year, I decided to keep it simple, i.e. under 70 people. It was hard to hold myself back, but it all turned out great. I had some his friends (and their siblings) over for pizza and cake. I bought a few Wiggles things, put them out, turned on a Wiggles video and Beckman was happy as ever. He thought the tablecloth was the best and was bright eyed with a big "Wow" when he saw it. I actually made him a cake (ok, from a box). It was pretty sad looking, but it had a small Wiggles car on it. He has taken that car with him everywhere ever since, including to bed.


His party was actually on my birthday this year. It was the only day that worked with schedules. I didn't mind at all. After you hit 35, the birthdays float by. At 40, then it will be time to celebrate (b/c hey, I made it to 40). But, I found it very appropriate that I celebrate one of the greatest gifts that has been given to me... my Baby Beckman! I guess we will need to stop calling him baby. Lukas calls him baby about 90% of the time. "Where's my baby?" Even though Beckman can wrestle Lukas to the ground. Times are changing ... Beckman keeps growing stronger and stronger and has much more of a fearlessness than Lukas has. They both are sort of 'wild and adventorous', but Beckman takes it up a notch. It's alright, we just have to keep a very close eye on him.


I remember the day he was born like yesterday. Lukas' playgroup had a shower for some of us that were expecting. It was at the pool and Lukas was the only child that didn't want to stay in the pool. After running after him for over an hour, I went home. I didn't feel well, but didn't think much of it since he wasn't due for another 3 1/2 weeks. Later that afternoon, we had some friends over for a playdate. I was telling the gals that I felt strange. Well, about 11pm, I got out the "what to expect" book and took a bath. They said it you don't feel better after 20 minutes, you are in labor. Yikes! So, off we went to the hospital about 1am. We, of course, we were not packed. Hans was running Lukas to the Lopez house through our neighbor's backyard, while I somehow managed to pack a few things and off we went. So, on August 18th at 4:08am our little one was born. A strong Leo that I'm sure will challenge me throughout my life. I look forward to being around to see all the wonderful things he will do with his life. I never know if I'm doing the right thing for him, or screwing him for life. I do know that I love my boys with every fiber of soul. I truly celebrated him on his birthday ...and always.



Baby Beckman on the day he was born
Lukas standing by his new baby brother. Couldn't resist this one....
Birthday party

No comments: